Friday, October 4, 2013

     Have you ever wondered how people can say that God is sovereign, that is, that God controls and knows everything--every little thing--and that nothing, absolutely nothing occurs without him knowing or allowing it?  It's an exceedingly difficult position to hold.
     Although I long ago decided to accept the idea of God's sovereignty, this does not mean that I do not question it; I probably question it every day.  Every day I bump up against the limits of my knowing, and every day I must remind myself that even though this is the nature of who I am, that there is nonetheless a God who knows everything and who, for reasons known only to him, is working in the world in ways beyond my understanding.
     But this will never satisfy me altogether.  I read in Romans 11, Isaiah 40, Psalm 33, and other passages about divine sovereignty and, although I agree with them, I still struggle with not knowing why about many, many things.  I always will.  So will, I suspect, many of you as well.  On the other hand, I, and everyone else, too, must decide which is most real and true.  Is the world really nothing more than a set of random happenings into which we are, to use Martin Heidegger's word, "thrown"?  Or does the world really have a point, a point which it cannot, logically, determine in and of itself (how can a box know why it is a box?)?
     If we choose the former, we will spend our lives trying to find a meaning that we will never really find fully.  Yet if we choose the latter, we spend our lives pursuing a God who has given our world its point but who will not share it with us, fully, until we see him face to face.  Either way, we encounter struggle and frustration.  After all, we are only finite.
     Struggle, yes, for you will, but purpose to struggle with what can only be, logically, true.

No comments:

Post a Comment