Wednesday, January 24, 2018

     How do we measure morality?  When a few days ago I was scrolling through Facebook (something I do not do often), I came upon an intriguing dichotomy of moral positions.  One post featured a photo of two people celebrating at one of the Women's Marches held over the weekend, this one in Boise, Idaho.  "We will not stop," they said, "until there is justice for everyone."
     Hard to argue with this sentiment, yes?  The other post that caught my eye was that of a young mother with four children.  She described how happy she was that her youngest son had told her that he loves Jesus.
     I'm thrilled for this young mother.  What struck me as I compared these posts was that although each was celebrating justice--or the one who brings justice--yet in vastly different ways.  I'm willing to say that these two sets of people likely would not agree on what morality, justice, or God are.  Yet they both desire justice for all.
     One of our greatest challenges in our deeply polarized society is seeking common ground amidst ideological conflict.  We all believe things, we all want things.  We want a just world.  What we therefore need to do most is to find ways in which all sides of the political spectrum can work together to help the common good.
     Doesn't Jesus love us all?

No comments:

Post a Comment