Tuesday, November 20, 2018

About | The Ocean Cleanup     Recently, I was asked to moderate a debate about the sovereignty of God.  Does God really control everything?  For if he does, he controls and, tellingly, allows evil.  But if he does not, what kind of a God might he really be?
     As I discussed the terms of the debate with the two protagonists, it became apparent that neither of them would be able to resolve the issue satisfactorily.  In the end, they both would need to turn to the same word:  trust.
     Proverbs 19:21 observes that, "Many plans are in a person's heart, but the counsel of the Lord stands."  I struggle with this.  I struggle with my inability to grasp the  sovereignty of God.  I struggle not because God's sovereignty is illogical, but because it is more logical than anything else on the planet.  Remove the sovereignty of God and purpose vanishes; retain the sovereignty of God and faith reigns.
     And faith, though it be the essential and logical underpinning of a finite existence, will always question the faith required to believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment