Wednesday, March 1, 2017

     Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent.  Ash Wednesday reminds us that, whether we believe in an afterlife or not, we are ultimately no more than dust.  When we die and pass out of this life, what remains of us will soon be no more, too, returned to the earth from which it has come.  Before my siblings and I scattered my mother's ashes atop her favorite mountain in the San Gabriel Mountains of California in October of 2011, we opened the box that contained "her."  All that Mom ever was had been reduced to a small pile of ashes.  All her years, all her love, all her joy, all her meaning, all her hopes and dreams now no more than a bag of ashes.  It was sobering.
Image result for ash wednesday photos     Even more sobering is that one day, every one of us will be exactly the same.  Happily, however, even as it reminds us of our mortality, Ash Wednesday also reminds us to realize that we are not dust and ashes only.  We are spiritual beings, physical creatures with spiritual form and vision, created by a transcendent God.
     Our death is not the end.


2 comments:

  1. Well said Bill!!!

    Richard P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Richard! You are so kind to read and comment on my thoughts. By the way, I don't think Carol has had opportunity to share this, but due to declining enrollment at my school, I was recently told that after everyone has said has been sixteen years of fruitful ministry, I will not have a full-time position next year. It's very disappointing and sad. I'd appreciate your prayers. Thanks. Have a good day.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete